The Smoke

Humans are story telling animals. We tell stories about our lives, and we live within those stories. We use stories to create our past, present, and future. We find our beliefs, values, and morals embedded in our stories. We are fragile, breakable, and inside each of use there is something more, there is the smoke left over from the fire in our stories.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Policing the Road



"Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them. You will find that they haven't half the strength you think they have."

- Norman Vincent Peale, was a Protestant preacher and author (most notably of The Power of Positive Thinking) and a progenitor of the theory of "positive thinking".

Identifying what the obstacles are can be overwhelming. Often I find myself blaming everyone and anyone and everything and anything for something I don't do that I really want to accomplish. There's not enough time in the day. I have too much homework. There is this family function I have to go to. I work too many hours at a job I don't feel proud of. Traffic held me up. I spent the last hour and half on the phone consoling a friend in need. I have to go grocery shopping. I could go on....

I am trying to remove the "but" from my vocabulary: I would begin writing my memoir, but I have all this homework to do. I would go spend the day with my mom and sister, but I have to clean my house. I would go visit my family across the country, but I don't get paid time off from my job (and am afraid to fly!). That "but" is a very big obstacle.... Or so I thought.

I am beginning to think it isn't the "but." It is the fear behind the "but." Could I be letting fear debilitate my dreams? Even sometimes when I attempt to sit, mediate, and visualize my life exactly as I want it to be, those "buts" find their way in. I know, I am supposed to let them float through and then cleanse myself of them, but they are unwelcome, over-staying guests.

There are all these obstacles I may have created for myself - and even blamed on others. I keep picturing "Road Closed" signs and forgetting that I am the officer on detail. I get to choose and direct my own detour and alternative route. I need to accept my author-ity and create my path. I may not be able to plow through the "Road Closed" sign, but I also don't have to make a u-turn and head back the way I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are drinkin'.... I mean thinkin'....