The Smoke

Humans are story telling animals. We tell stories about our lives, and we live within those stories. We use stories to create our past, present, and future. We find our beliefs, values, and morals embedded in our stories. We are fragile, breakable, and inside each of use there is something more, there is the smoke left over from the fire in our stories.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Truth of My Purpose when My Purpose is Truth

As I think about the project I am currently creating, I realize I need to answer the question: Why am I telling this story?, to even begin, continue, and complete it. The project is a narrative piece and when and through writing my narrative I am making meaning out of the story and of myself. I am recreating history based on the past, present, and future. What function does this particular story serve to me at this particular moment?

Is the story I am currently narrating the one I want to live in? Not only is there a responsibility to an audience when writing a narrative, there is also a tremendous responsibility to oneself. Am I being responsible with my identity, with the way I want to tell and live within this particular story? Or, do I have a choice: Is there a chance that I can tell the story one way, but chose to live another once the story is out of my system? Once I have purged myself of the story - the old me - will I be able to recreate the narrative because of the practice of purging the most recent version?

I do know that one of the reasons I want to tell my story is for others to hear, learn, and possibly relate to it. I want to make a connection with others, to prevent them from living my story and for those who have lived a similar story, to offer hope and companionship.

I suppose as I continue writing what matters most is that I am currently telling my story in the most honest and truthful way I know how at the very moment my fingers move feverishly over the keys. If a stroke doesn't feel right, I can erase it and rewrite it. If I come back three weeks from now, read the narrative, and realize the story, the beliefs within the story, no longer parallel and express the purpose of sharing my story, I have author-ity to recreate it. But, first, I need to clearly identify my purpose, my reasons,for writing this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are drinkin'.... I mean thinkin'....