The Smoke

Humans are story telling animals. We tell stories about our lives, and we live within those stories. We use stories to create our past, present, and future. We find our beliefs, values, and morals embedded in our stories. We are fragile, breakable, and inside each of use there is something more, there is the smoke left over from the fire in our stories.

Friday, May 29, 2009

The Consistently Ambiguous Future

Most of my life is planned out: Get married, have some children, find a way to finish up college.... However, the last part holds an ambiguous future, and not because I fear I will not finish my degree. I am mostly concerned with what I will do with that degree once it is here. What will make me feel better about paying those extreme student loans is a good job, which is what would make most students who don't have parents footing the bill for their education.

I recently started training to be a mentor for first year students at my school. I think this may be a doorway to a career at the school, or at a school, but I am not sure. In a way, I hope it is. However, I also want to have a paying writing career. I don't know how to begin the latter. Do I just write a book and try to get it published? Do I attend workshops that teaches me to write a book? The last (and only) writing workshop I attended presented me with the reality that there is simply no blueprint to writing. You just do it, possibly wearing Nike shoes. And I believe this, as there are many people who just decide to write a book one day, and are able to get it published, although they have no prior experience, and did not ever intend to write a book.

What will I write about? I have a very personal idea for a memoir, but am unsure as to whether or not I am ready to tell my story about this very important part of my past life. I am afraid it may get people (possibly myself) in trouble, I worry that my family would think they failed as a support system, knowing that all these years I have been holding this intense secret. I just don't know. Do I compile all of my poetry from my angered teenage years and try to get that published? Do I write a series of personal essays? Where to start, what to do, and where I will be is so unknown, and I don't like it. I need an assignment. I need to be asked to write something, I need to be given a deadline, I need some type of direction.

In the meantime, I will be pondering all these questions, and hopefully an answer will present itself soon. I am, for the lack of a better term, craving an opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are drinkin'.... I mean thinkin'....