The Smoke

Humans are story telling animals. We tell stories about our lives, and we live within those stories. We use stories to create our past, present, and future. We find our beliefs, values, and morals embedded in our stories. We are fragile, breakable, and inside each of use there is something more, there is the smoke left over from the fire in our stories.

Friday, May 15, 2009

In real life, I don't CARE!

Being at work really reminds of just how much I don't care about what other people say, at least half of the time. I just have to stand there, behind them, listening to their stories, or, their jokes that really aren't that funny. Personal anecdotes that would be better served if told in a therapist's office. Maybe some hairdressers love this part of the job, but I don't.

Especially the self-manufactured bull shit. I am sorry, but you brought this on yourself, and now I have to listen to it every time I see you, and you expect me to agree with you, yet my morals and values won't let me. Thus, I revert to the proverbial childhood lesson: If I don't have something nice to say, I don't say anything. And I can see that they are looking for my approval, to be in agreement with their recent idiotic decision, or to feel that their soon-to-be-ex-husband really is an asshole, yet, all I can see is that there are two sides to that story. The worst part is that I have this insane memory, which means that I know:
  1. When they are lying.
  2. When I know that there is some situation in the past that brought this on.
  3. That they really aren't as great of a person as they try to come across.
  4. That they are a bullshit artist, manic, trying to make themselves feel better.

I have to put on this act, as if I am really interested or feel bad for them, which is totally out of character for me. In real life, and my friends and family and boyfriend know this, I am a bitch, and I will tell you if I think you are a freakin' idiot who creates problems for yourself. Or, I will let you know I am uninterested in what you have to say, or that you told the story a different way, or that you should seek therapy.... AND SOON.

I do have some really, really great clients, but not enough to make up for the others. It takes years off my life I think, every time I have to bite my tongue. Some nights, on my way home when I call my mom, she will ask how my day went, and I simply say, "I have a mouth full of holes," and she knows I have been biting and chewing the inside of my mouth, just so I still have a job the next day.

Lastly, I hate when I am obviously busy doing something, like studying or on my laptop, or blogging, and the girls think it is a great time to tell me some story, or just talk bullshit. Listen, I am busy. My face is buried in a book. I am not getting paid hourly, therefore when I don't have a client in my chair it is my time. Let me be. And they know it, they admit that they are bothering me. I love them almost like family, so I know I can be honest, but sometimes, they just don't get the hint. Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooo I am not even looking at you, and I am "Uh-ummming" you to death. I am not listening. (Honestly, it is happening right now!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are drinkin'.... I mean thinkin'....