The Smoke

Humans are story telling animals. We tell stories about our lives, and we live within those stories. We use stories to create our past, present, and future. We find our beliefs, values, and morals embedded in our stories. We are fragile, breakable, and inside each of use there is something more, there is the smoke left over from the fire in our stories.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Success Without an Expiration Date

The other day it was (un)seasonably hot in New England for May. I use the (un) because we all think it is so weird when the temp hits over 80 degrees in May, however it is a yearly occurrence, almost inevitable, thus we just need to accept that it is in fact normal to have a hot day, or even string of days, in new England, in May. That is another story, and one I do not have to explain for fellow New Englanders, however.


On this very normal warm day, I was driving down the highway on my way home from a day off filled with errands. I was listening to my tunes, and just writing along in my head (which can be very distracting while driving) when I began to get concerned that my ship as a writer may have sailed and that I will never reach the success so desire. Then, my twin subconscious (I am a Gemini) spoke up and reminded me that no one is ever too old for success. There are people who do not write their best seller until they are well into what is normally considered retirement age. And not for nothing, those best sellers are often not even well known, they are just labeled as so. I felt an overwhelming fresh and new outlook on my career as a writer. It is true, I am cresting upon my later twenties, yet I need to remember that I still have time. There will come my time, success has no expiration date. No one can tell me when it is too late, not even myself. Even if I were to cease existence, I still can not control when my time as a recognized and respected writer is. It is sadly possibly that I won't make money until I am physically gone. The bonus is that my possible offspring or other family members will see it and reap the benefits of my hard work and unexpired success.

Later that day I talked with some friends about this, about how I feel as if I have enough time to really make it, to prove myself. Right now, when I say I am a writer, it may not mean anything to anyone else besides myself. I have finally accepted that this is not a problem for anyone but everyone who does not believe in me, who does not believe that I am writer, I just happen to be an unpublished and unpaid writer.

Last night my fiance and I watched Marley and Me, and in the movie Owen Wilson is a columnist. It seems as if it just may be something I could do. Actually, it is something I know I could do. I would love to own the freedom of choosing my topic, and acquiring and active reading audience. I know it would be hard work, it is difficult to be consistently creative, and even when I am not, to still gain the attention of my readers enough to ensure their return for the next column, or story.

I think this was a doorway, that this was presented to me because it is something that I could learn more about, something that I could look into. I don't think it is ironic that although I have wanted to see the movie for a long time, I actually did not watch it until after I had decided to truly pursue my passion to write. It is only a movie, but I had never thought of the columnist position, and it intrigues me.

I truly can not wait to see what the future holds, and I am sure I will be presented with enough opportunities, material and inspiration to preserve my intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are drinkin'.... I mean thinkin'....