The Smoke

Humans are story telling animals. We tell stories about our lives, and we live within those stories. We use stories to create our past, present, and future. We find our beliefs, values, and morals embedded in our stories. We are fragile, breakable, and inside each of use there is something more, there is the smoke left over from the fire in our stories.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

What I consider a BIG NIGHT

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I took my last final for the semester today. That feels good.

One thing I have never understood, however, is why students are expected to meet deadlines and follow through, and professors are often exempt from such responsibilities. For example, in my class on Tuesday, we were supposed to have received our grades for the end of semester paper we wrote. Unfortunately, the professor has been too busy with other things, and did not place our grades in our digital dropbox as expected. Furthermore, we have yet to receive our homework and comments on it from over two weeks ago. I happen to like the professor, so I am not bashing him whatsoever, in fact, this is common practice among professors. It makes me want to ask, "Well, if you are too busy to grade all those papers and assignments because you have other students and other classes, why give out so many assignments?"

I had a professor a few semesters ago that I really got into it with over this subject, and it was no secret that I totally despised her. She would give us these incredible homework assignments, and then never return them to us on time. She would have so many excuses: other classes, sick, family things, blah, blah, blah. I literally told her on our class webpage that as students, we have other obligations too, and why are we not allowed the same privilege of saying that we are just too busy? I was a little stressed that semester, working 35 hours a week and taking four 4-credit courses, but I managed to complete all assignments on time and get an A in all four classes.

So, tonight when I logged on to my school's website and saw that neither professor had posted grades, I felt a little "urrrrrrr" rumble inside of me. It is a sick game they play, I have been studying my ass off and can not wait to see how it all paid off, yet I have to wait for their life to come together before I find out how well I did. And I am paying up the ying yang to go to school! I should be expecting more from them, not vice versa!

Because school is over for the summer, I can focus more now on our wedding which is at the end of the summer. Today marks 99 days until the wedding! I had actually planned to start a blog about the wedding 100 days before it, but this week has been too hectic with (uh-um) studying for my finals and working. However, I am super psyched about the wedding!

And, lastly, the icing on my bittersweet cake: tonight is the season finale of Grey's Anatomy.... My favorite show. A show I never thought I would watch, and have been hooked since the first time I caught an episode, mid-season the second year....

I have my glass of wine, nice a chilled and ready for consumption, my fiance is about to change the channel from his basketball game he is watching (he is the best, no man would abandon his basketball game on his big TV to let his girlfriend watch her nightly soap), and I am ready to go! So, if you are tuning in tonight to the show, enjoy, and wish me luck on my exam scores!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you are drinkin'.... I mean thinkin'....